Sunday, November 15, 2015

A511.4.3.RB_MalvoisinLeon

             Often time in my life I take look back at what I was doing that involved a leadership positions, and how I was as a leader in that position, and how I could have done a better job.  Taking this class PMGT 511 has opened up my eyes about the leadership position and has helped me become a more effective leader.  Some of the key points related to managerial motivation, traits, and effectiveness vary.  As identified by Yukl (2013), trait can be a mixture of individual attributes which involves characteristic of personality, temperament, needs, motives, and values. Certainly, as a leader you have to have a positive trait of yourself.  Hence, a positive temperament, needs, and motive would reflect highly on any manager.  Therefore, most employees are looking for positive traits from their manager as that would induce them to follow the manager.  Furthermore, as identified Yukl (2013), when it comes to effectiveness, the empirical research shows that a socialized power orientation is most likely to result in effective leadership rather a personalized power orientation.  Certainly, effective leadership has a link with the amount of power the leader has, the more power he or she has to make decisions and drive some demand, the most likely he or she would be an effective leader.  Hence, managerial motivation is driven from the self-confidence to leadership effectiveness of a manager.
            Assessing my own leadership skills, traits, and competencies I notice I have good leadership skills.  My technical, interpersonal, and conceptual skills have been rated as exceed expectation from work every year on my performance management review.  Furthermore, I have a strong knowledge about methods, processes, procedures and technique for conducting specialized activities.  I also have great understanding of human behavior and interpersonal processes that allow me to better communicate with my team members.  I also have great analytical ability, logical/critical thinking, and conceptualization of complex and ambiguous relationships.  
            The best way to leverage my strengths to improve my value in my organization is by sharing my knowledge with the team.  Making sure that they understand the concept of what they're working on, prior implementing it.  Have team meeting with them so they can bring up any concerns, technical issuers, or problems that they may be facing at work and help them resolve those problems effectively.  Furthermore, I need to be more transparent with them as far as leadership decisions or changes on any items that will impact their day to day activities and their leadership as well.  I should also identify team members that have skills relevant for a future leadership position.  Furthermore, compensate for the less knowledgeable team members, and assure there is a learning process in place to bring up to speed the low performers.
            Contingency theory and situational variables may assist in a way where my positive behavior and personality as a leader can influence my subordinates' satisfaction and performance in different situations where they might use my approach or suggestion to overcome obstacles.

Reference
Yukl, G. (2013). Contengency Theories and Adaptive Leadership. In Leadership in organizations. (8th ed.). Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice Hall

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment