I grew up on an island in the West Indies, Haiti. The island was politically unstable and unemployment was high. My parents had to struggle to make ends meet. I’m the youngest of 4 sons. At the age of 12, my mom decided to venture out of the island to America in search of a better life and career to support the family while my dad stayed on the island to raise four boys and making sure that we go to school to earn an education. My family didn’t have much money. My dad was a carpenter and my mom is now a retired nurse. What both of my parents strongly believe in is that education is the key to a better life anywhere. Without an education life will most likely be a struggle for most people. Both of my parents didn’t have a high school diplomat, but they live their lives in such a way that would enable their sons to see their struggle of life without an education and making sure that we stay in school to earn our diplomas and degrees. When I was 13 years old, my dad started teaching me about responsibilities and the way of life. He started taking me to his workplace and let me shadow him all day, seeing the work he does and questioned him about details of is job and the ups and downs. I remember few specific stories he told me about work that has an impact on me until this day. My dad told me that in life if you find a career or a job no matter what the job is, make sure that you excel at it and you know it well. If you can maintain that good work ethic, you will become an expert at it and have lots of credibility which would bring lots of clients to your business. I grew up with that mentality to strive and learn what I do and do my best to do it well. 24 years later, now I’m working in the world leading aerospace company as a Lead Engineer while pursuing higher education at EARU.
What my dad taught me has helped me work better in my organization and becoming a better team player as well. I’ve maintained great credibility at work due to the work ethic my dad taught me and the education I’ve earned during my childhood. Now, I excel at my job very well, and many people come to me for guidance to complex projects. Now, I can proudly say that I’m an expert in my field with lots of credibility. As identify by Whalen (2007), two of the main credible characteristic of people are expertise and trustworthy. My expertise has help me feel right at home in my organization and work greatly in my team environment.
Reference
Whalen, D. J. (2007). The Professional Communications Toolkit. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications, Inc.
No comments:
Post a Comment