When I first started the course or
even prior to starting the course I had a low critical thinking
competency. I had the habit of reading
just for reading and not fully understanding the content of what I was
reading. In other words, as I have been
getting busier in my career and life I had started to stop paying attention to
details, which had an effect on my thinking process. Taking this course is well worth it in many
ways; it’s beneficial to my career and personal life. Since, I’ve been taking this course (MSLD
500) my thinking process has changed. It
has helped me do more critical thinking and ask the right questions to help me
come to a better conclusion.
Furthermore, it has allowed me to become a more active listener rather
than a passive recipient of information.
It has helped me become aware of my assumptions about the subject so
that I can assess them more accurately in light of what I will later read and
hear.
I have been able to internalize some of the
techniques and concepts I’ve learned in this course. For example, I was recently asked to host a
meeting at work within two hours of notice on a subject that I had little
information about, but since it was my manager that asked me to host the
meeting it was a bit hard reject the offer.
I accept the offer, and immediately started asking myself and my manager
questions about the meeting such as, what is the purpose behind the meeting? Is
there an agenda? What is a good way to start off the meeting? Who are the key attendees? Do I have all the
information I need to start hosting the meeting? Should there be a Q and A
session? Should I host the meeting in
such short notice? Does it even make sense to have that meeting today? With these questions and the answers I
obtained, I was able to become knowledgeable about the meeting and hosted it
successfully.
Practice
makes everything better. To make a
lasting positive change in the way I think, I just have to constantly think
ahead by doing critical thinking and reasoning on the subject or matter at hand
before coming to a conclusion.
No comments:
Post a Comment