I work
in the aerospace industry for the world leader in commercial airplanes
manufacturing. The organization I work for
is an organization that support testing of new airplanes and is constantly
working under tight budget and schedule which result to a high pressure
environment. Fortunately, I work in a
high-performance team that applies and share their knowledge with each other
and that have a common goal. Our goal is to educate each other while getting
quality job done at the same time. As
identify by Denning (2011), high performance team carry out their work with
share passion. Certainly, that is one of the elements of high performance that
my organization is truly passionate about.
Another element as identify by Denning (2011) is as follow, high
performance team grow steadily stronger, within time, members come to know one
another’s strengths and weakness and become highly experience and coordinate
their activities. Indeed, the team I’m part of in my organization knows each
other very well. The leader assign project base on the members capabilities and
willing to learn something new. He also assures that everyone in the team is
challenged to a point where he/she can learn something new while expending
his/her capability.
Shared
values are very important elements to have in an organization. It allows the members of the organization to
have one common interest and have a common ground that the members can use to
relate to each other and help the company grow as they’re growing within the
company. Shared values have helped my
team be more transparent with leadership and fellow teammate, vice versa.
Because we share values, we overcome the obstacles as a team and constantly
looking out for one another and assuring that each individual in the team has
what it take to accomplish his/her activities right. As a result, this allow the organization to
become more competitive in its marketplace and dominate its competitors.
The four
patterns of working together are work group, team, community, and network
(Denning, 2011). Work group is
essentially a group at work, it doesn’t imply a team collaboration to certain
aspect. In fact members of that group may even have different managers. An example
of a negative experience I’ve had is as follow: In one of my previous work I
was a member of a work group working on project design release. Members of the group didn’t share the same
manager and did not have the same shared values. Each manager as well as the group members
were only interest on his/her self-interest only. As a result, that behavior
induced animosity within the workgroup, and it could not function well at all. To influence this outcome, I would make sure
that all managers have the same goals and share the same values workwise and
that the members of the work group work more as a team and support each other
when needed. Another pattern of working together is the
team aspect. A team is essentially a grouping of individual who share common
goals and values. The team works together to achieve any given activities and
overcome any obstacles. One positive
experience I’ve had working in a team environment happened this past winter,
2016. I was assigned to a project that I knew nothing about and had no idea
where to start to get the project going.
Fortunately, the team I was working with was very team driven and wanted
me to succeed. So, they set up off hours meeting with me to teach me the
concept of what the project was about and how to implement it. After a few
session with the teammate, I was able to contribute to the project and be
productive.
Furthermore,
community is another pattern of working together. A community can be
heterogeneous as identify by Denning (2011).
However, it shares the same values and interest as an organization
interest. Because it’s a community and
people come in go in a community there are possibilities that it may not remain
as effective as an organization as the group may lose energy at some point. Last but not least, network is another pattern
of working together. Due to the rapid growing of social media, most of the
networking nowourday are done on the worldwide internet. It allows people to
create instant networking with individuals across the globe in a second. As
identify by Denning (2011), it can be used to remain informed about events, books,
or articles of common interest and sometimes discuss issues.
Reference
Denning.
S. (2011). The Leader’s Guide to Storytelling: Mastering the Art and
Discipline of Business Narrative. San Francisco, CA: Jossey – Bass.
No comments:
Post a Comment